Draft Amendment to Voluntary Planning Agreement - 189 Macquarie Street, Parramatta
The City of Parramatta Council is publicly exhibiting a draft amendment to an existing Voluntary Planning Agreement (VPA) executed in 2015 relating to the redevelopment of 189 Macquarie Street, Parramatta (RZ/7/2013).
The executed VPA was developed in accordance with a Project Delivery Agreement (PDA) between Council and Toplace (the Developer), which at the time proposed the site be developed for predominantly residential purposes, subject to a public car park being delivered to Council as part of its redevelopment.
The existing VPA contains provisions which require the developer to deliver the public car park to Council, road works, streetscape improvements, and a public through site link, as well as provisions relating to developer contributions based on the delivery of the public car park.
A recent decision by Council on 24 March 2019 resolved that Council would no longer take ownership of the car park. The operation of the car park will now be the responsibility of the developer. Due to these new arrangements, an amendment to the existing VPA is required.
The following is proposed:
- An amendment to Clause 6 (Contributions to be made under this Agreement) relating to the works the Developer must deliver including:
- Removal of the requirement for the developer to provide the public car park to Council, and new clauses relating to the management and operation of the car park by the Developer
- Replacement of the requirement for a through-site link to be dedicated to Council, with the requirement for an easement to be provided via a public right of access instead
- Road works and footpath improvements will still be required, with clarification that improvements located on the site will remain under the ownership of the Developer
- An amendment to Clause 7 (Application of Sections 94, 94A and 94EF of the Act).
- Under the original VPA, the developer contributions Toplace were required to pay were reduced to recognise the fact that the car park was being delivered to Council (as Council would not normally pay contributions on infrastructure it provides), and to provide an incentive for more parking spaces to be provided in the public car park. As the car park will no longer be owned by Council, those funds should be repaid to Council. The VPA will be amended to reflect this.
The draft amendment to the VPA and other relevant material will be publicly exhibited from 10 July 2019 to 7 August 2019, and can be viewed:
- On this page (see Supporting Documents section)
- At Parramatta City Council Administration Building, Ground Floor, 126 Church Street, Parramatta: Monday – Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
- At Parramatta City Library, 1-3 Fitzwilliam Street, Parramatta: Monday – Friday 9.30am to 8pm; Saturday 9.30am to 4pm; Sunday 2.00pm to 5.00pm.
Written comments are invited. All submissions received will be considered before a final decision is made by Council. Submissions are to be received by 4:30pm on 7 August 2019. Submissions must reference RZ/7/2013 and can be sent to:
Post: Chief Executive Officer
City of Parramatta Council
PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
Attention: Land Use Planning
Fax: 9806 5913
- Proposed Draft Amendment to the Existing Voluntary Planning Agreement
- Explanatory Note
- Council Report - 24 June 2019
- Council Resolution - 24 June 2019
- Existing Voluntary Planning Agreement (VPA) - Executed 2015
For further information or queries, please contact Council on (02) 9806 5201.