Parramatta Artists Studios: 2018 Studio Applications
2018 studio application round
Parramatta Artists Studios (PAS) invites applications for 2018 Studios for 6 and 12 month tenancy. Studios are available from December 2017 to December 2018.
What we offer:
- 24-hour access to professional workspaces in the heart of Western Sydney
- Subsidised rent to help artists maintain sustainable careers
- A network of artists, art influencers and local communities
- Professional and career development program
- Opportunity to connect with artistic and local communities through public programs
- A hub for artistic practice and ideas
The current application round is open 24 July 2017 to midnight Monday 18 September 2017 (AEST).
Studios are available from 4 December 2017 to 2 December 2018:
- 6-month tenancy period: must be taken from 4 December 2017 to 3 June 2018 or 4 June 2018 to 2 December 2018.
- 1-year tenancy period: must be taken from 4 December 2017 to 2 December 2018.
Applications are open to:
- Artists from all disciplines, including but not limited to, painting, digital media, photography, filmmaking, performance, sculpture and writing.
- Artists from Parramatta, Western Sydney and across NSW are welcome to apply.
- Artists from all career-stages.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or above.
- Post-graduate students are eligible to apply. Applications from undergraduate students will only be considered if a studio is not supplied as part of their course.
- Quality of work and originality of ideas.
- Value of a studio to the development of the artist/s.
- Value of contribution to the public program of PAS & City of Parramatta.
- Suitability of art form for a studio space.
Allocation of studios is undertaken by a Selection Committee established by City of Parramatta. The Committee includes a practising artist, the Studio Coordinator, an external arts industry representative and a City of Parramatta representative.
Applicants will be notified of results via email by 9 October 2017 and artists will have the option to accept or decline the offer.
About Parramatta Artists Studios
PAS is the energetic home for creative production in the centre of Western Sydney.
Since 2006 PAS has supported artists to work and develop their careers in Parramatta. Over 100 emerging, mid-career and established artists have participated in the program and have been attracted by PAS’ reputation as an incubator of artistic excellence and its successful record of:
- providing professional workspaces.
- enabling creative projects.
- networking artists with arts influencers, local communities and peers.
- building a hub for artistic practice and ideas.
PAS artists make, connect and find inspiration in Parramatta, contributing significantly to its vibrant and quickly growing cultural sector. Throughout their tenancy artists contribute to the broader community through PAS’ annual program of events, workshops and arts activities.
Parramatta Artist Studios is an initiative of the City of Parramatta and is supported by the NSW Government through Create NSW.
PAS contains thirteen studios for Sydney based artists. Artists have 24 hour access to the building and studios are suitable for a range of artistic practice including but not limited to painting, sculpture, video, performance and photography. Studio sizes range from 15 to 35 sqm. Fees for studios range from $22.95 to $34.40 per week according to size, fees are subject to change.
Within the studio complex is a space for delivering workshops, a small exhibition area, communal kitchen and dining area. A range of equipment and resources are available for use by the artists including screens, projectors, DSLR camera, easels and Internet connection. Access to local facilities, including rehearsal studios, video production equipment, a ceramic studio and a darkroom can be arranged on a case-by-case basis for an additional fee.
Professional development and networking
PAS is dedicated to cultivating a supportive environment for artists to progress their careers through professional development and networking opportunities. Activities include:
- One-on-one meetings with curators and industry professionals.
- Promotion through PAS and Council channels.
- Media and press opportunities.
- Meet and greets with visiting interstate and international artists.
Movers and Makers
An open day designed for practising artists to connect with PAS artists and industry professionals. Each year PAS artists are commissioned to develop work, installations and experiences that engage audiences in untraditional ways.
Movers and Makers also offers artists an opportunity to meet and hear from industry professionals. In One Plus One artists and curators met for professional blind dates, previous invited curators include: Holly Williams (The Curators’ Department), Adam Porter (Casula Powerhouse), Ellie Buttrose (QAGGOMA), Bianca Acimovic (MAMA), Amy Barrett-Lennard (PICA) and Megan Monte (Campbelltown Arts Centre).
For the past two years Parramatta Artists Studios has commissioned a series of workshops and exhibitions for the Parramasala festival. Recruited through community networks, a group of culturally diverse women participated in cross-disciplinary workshops to share making skills and stories, discuss memories and culture, and create wearable art. With an open-door approach, the workshops were guided by Liam Benson and Kiri Morcombe.
For the 2017 iteration the group undertook an ambitious project to create a wearable artwork and work with dance and performance artists to develop, choreograph and feature in a collaborative video work. Artists, Athena Cabot, Caroline Garcia, Amrita Hepi and Salote Tawale engaged the group with performance and script development as new mediums, further weaving their stories together and bringing the wearables to life.
A free regular reading night curated by Parramatta based writer and PAS alumni Felicity Castagna (The Incredible Here and Now, Stop the Boats). The event showcases the best new writing from Western Sydney and beyond through an exciting mix of local emerging writers paired with the best multi-award winning authors in Australia.
Studio Stories has featured in Time Out Sydney, ABC’s Bookish and the Sydney Morning Herald. Past guests include Randah Abdel-Fattah, Fiona Wright, Ellen van Neerven, Luke Carman, Ahmed Al Rady, Candy Royalle and A.S Patric.
Workshops are integral to the PAS tenancy program and provide an opportunity for artists to connect with the wider local community. PAS artists develop workshops by responding to the interests and needs of different audiences.
Workshops include: regular school holiday workshops for children 5-12 years old; community based workshops in and around Parramatta; and Weave Parramatta, a monthly workshop for artists working in textile and fibre art to share with makers from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
The City of Parramatta is recognised as the CBD of Western Sydney and is currently undergoing an exciting transformational period of significant growth and change.
The City’s access to public transport and its proximity to main roads makes travel to PAS convenient. Parramatta is a short 30-minute train ride from the Sydney CBD and the popular Parramatta River ferry service operates daily from Darling Harbour and Circular Quay.
PAS is part of a broad network of artistic communities and cultural organisations based in the City including FORM Dance Projects, Riverside Theatres, Information and Cultural Exchange, Parramatta Art Society, Parraclay and the newly formed National Theatre of Parramatta.
If you have any questions, please contact one of our staff:
P: 9687 6090