Largely funded through the Federal Government’s Department of Social Services, emergency relief is a safety net for people experiencing financial distress or hardship and who have limited means or resources to improve their financial situation. This support includes food and food vouchers, furniture, assistance paying bills, and refer people to places they can access crisis housing.
List of emergency relief providers
It is advised to call services first to confirm opening hours and appointment requirements.
Referral via one of the Wesley Missions local partner organisations:
119 Macquarie Street, Parramatta - (02) 9891 2277
High Street Youth Health Service
65 High Street, Parramatta - (02) 8860 2500
16 Shortland Street, Telopea - (02) 9638 7955
Pathways Community Church
284 Dunmore Street, Pendle Hill - (02) 9636 7400
Assistance is accessed through trained volunteer teams - one is allocated to you by calling the 1800 number. The volunteer team provides a home visit where issues can be discussed and assistance provided.
- Phone: 1800 606 724 (Ext 3 for Cumberland/Parramatta Area - Family Assistance Hotline) or 13 18 12 (Ext 4 for Help & Support - Vinnies Assist general)
- Website: St Vincent De Paul Society
Referral to most local Connect centre sites is via the 1300 number. Assistance is determined and approved on the phone. Drop-in to a Connect site is possible, but assistance will still require consultation and approval on the phone with Salvation Army Head Office.
- Phone: 1300 371 288 or 137 258
- Website: The Salvation Army
Assistance accessed through Jesuit Refugee Service’s client support centre in Parramatta. Focus on refugees and people seeking asylum.
- Address: 10-12 Victoria Rd, Parramatta (office closed during lockdown)
- Phone: 02 9098 9336 (leave a voicemail – messages are checked regularly)
Contact the Mission office during business hours and ask to speak with a Case Manager.
- Phone: 02 9891 2277
- Address: 119 Macquarie Street, Parramatta
Call to make an appointment.
- Phone: 02 9637 7600
- Address: Granville TAFE, Block C - 136 William Street, Granville
The Granville Hamper Hub is operating until the end of December. It is a free food relief hamper service – one free food relief hamper per household is available with fruit, vegetables, and pantry items. Service is open to anyone who needs assistance accessing food.
- Mondays 25 October & 1 November, 11am – 2pm
- Every Thursday from 11 Nov to 23 Dec, 11am – 2pm
- The Granville Centre, 1 Memorial Drive, Granville
Meals Plus is open for breakfast and lunch from Monday to Friday. Services include: emergency food assistance, laundry and shower facilities and referral to accommodation services.
Address: Parramatta Mission 119 Macquarie Street, Parramatta
Phone: 9891 2277