Lost and Found Pets
If your pet has gone roaming unexpectedly, here are some things that you can do to ensure a safe return:
- Update your pet's microchip on the National Pet Register and NSW Pet Registry
- Use RSCPA's Pet Reunite program
- View animals recently impounded by the Holroyd City Council Animal Holding Facility or Blacktown City Council Animal Holding Facility. Any animal taken to the Animal Holding Facility can be resold, re-homed or euthanised if unclaimed within seven days (without a microchip) or 14 days (with a microchip). It's important you visit regularly to identify your pet and claim him/her as soon as possible as daily fees apply
- Visit Lost Paws for suggestions on potential locations to search for your lost pet
- Contact Parramatta's local vets and describe what your pet looks like, as it could have been handed into a vet
- Ask your neighbours for sightings and walk around your neighbourhood, door-to-door knock and/or do a letter box drop with a photo of your pet, their name, details and your phone number
- Visit rescue agencies like www.petsearch.com.au and www.petfinders.com.au, and consider creating a lost pet Facebook page, group or event
- Check with Parramatta's surrounding councils. Your pet may have wandered into another local government area. Our surrounding councils include Fairfield City Council, Cumberland Council, Hills Shire Council, Blacktown City Council, Canterbury Bankstown Council and City of Ryde Council
If you've come across a pet wandering without its owner or handler nearby, you can do one of a number of things:
- If there is a collar and tag, call the number provided and arrange for collection by the owner
- Take the animal to your nearest vet. Most veterinary clinics accept and hold lost dogs. They can scan the pet for a microchip to try and reunite the pet with its owner
- If none of the above are successful options, call City of Parramatta on 9806 5000 and report the stray for collection
City of Parramatta collects strays during the following times:
- Monday - Friday: 8.30am to 3pm
- Saturday - Sunday: 8am to 2.30pm (minimal staff and limited holding facilities are available on weekends)
If you have found a lost pet after hours, take the animal to your nearest vet and hand it in as a stray.
If you see a roaming pet, and do not want to, or are unable to, approach the pet, call City of Parramatta Council and report it. Please leave a contact name and a number for an officer to call you back, if more information is needed.
Never put yourself at risk if you are unsure of a roaming dog. Even a small or seemingly friendly dog can bite when frightened or surprised.