Lord Mayor's Column 29 January 2020
Wednesday 29 January 2020
Australia Day Local Awards
It was an honour to present City of Parramatta’s 2020 Australia Day Awards alongside Australia Day Ambassador Amelia Farrugia at Rosehill on Friday 17 January. These awards recognise the outstanding achievements and exemplary contribution of members from our local community.
We received a very high number of nominations this year, which is representative of the growing number of people and activities in the City of Parramatta. It was wonderful to recognise, celebrate, and thank all of our local unsung heroes who continue to go above and beyond for the Parramatta community. These awards celebrate a diverse range of individuals, from young to senior, with different skills and talents – whether it be in the arts, sport, community service or other areas.
I would like to pay special tribute to local paramedic and volunteer Kevin McSweeney, who won the 2020 Citizen of the Year for his many years of community service. A Parramatta local, Kevin is full-time NSW Ambulance Inspector, as well as the founding director of the Michael Hughes Foundation.
I would like to congratulate our other award winners in each category:
- Lord Mayor Community Service Award – John Curdie OAM
- Lord Mayor Humanity Award – Fouad Nakhle
- Young Leader of the Year Award – Anthony Bolton
- Young Citizen of the Year (in honour of David Shakespeare OAM) – Daphne Fong
- Senior Citizen of the Year – Gwen Ilic
- Volunteer of the Year – Heather Sheehan
- Sports Achievement Award – Harrison Knight
- Arts & Cultural Award – Avijit Sarkar
- Community Group Award – Harris Park Community Centre & Redeemer Baptist School (joint winners).
I would also like to pay special thanks to our firefighters, volunteers, and emergency responders, who are right now showing exemplary service to communities around the country during the bushfire crisis.
IMAGE – City of Parramatta Lord Mayor Cr Bob Dwyer presenting the 2020 Australia Day Local Awards.
IMAGE – City of Parramatta Lord Mayor Cr Bob Dwyer with the 2020 Australia Day Local Award recipients.