Council Climate Change Initiatives
City of Parramatta Council has achieved Milestone 5 of the global Cities for Climate Protection Program (CCP) and has committed to CCP Plus, which aims to further reduce greenhouse gas emissions. To achieve emission reductions, a variety of programmes have been designed to assist residents and industry reduce environmental impact.
The Parramatta Climate Action Plan is a guide to climate change management that specifies climate action targets and defines 29 specific community actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Parramatta.
City of Parramatta runs numerous education programmes for schools, community groups and businesses on ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, decrease energy use and resource consumption, and educate about waste issues. Projects include:
- ecosmart community program: in conjunction with Western Sydney project involving both sustainability audits and environmental awareness for residential properties in the area
- 3 CBDs programme: in conjunction with North Sydney, City of Sydney and the Department of Energy, Utilities and Sustainability (DEUS) to undertake a greenhouse gas reduction project with commercial office tenants in the three largest cities
- energy smart homes: education kits and awareness campaigns developed for the residential sector
- CBD Building Greenhouse Pilot Project: a scheme targeted at reducing greenhouse emissions in commercial office buildings in Parramatta’s CBD
- community workshops on energy, solar, waste, composting, recycling, growing food and sustainable living skills
- free sustainability assessments for households and businesses
- discounted compost bins and worm farms
- Cool Parramatta: education program on extreme heat
- Our Solar Future: a solar bulk buy program
- Save Power Kit.
Travel planning projects for local households include:
- free shuttle bus within the Parramatta CBD to encourage use of public transport and decrease car useage
- roll out of a network of on- and off-road cycleways
- Greater Parramatta By Bicycle map to foster cycling wihtin the community
City of Parramatta is implementing an Environmental Management System across the organisation to reduce its environmental footprint. Projects include:
- retrofit of all major buildings with new energy efficient lighting
- new fleet policy with focus on 4 cylinder cars and LPG and the introduction of greenfleet to offset remaining greenhouse gas emmisions. This includes running of 2 prius in the fleet
- conversion of a 9-tonne garbage truck from diesel to compressed natural gas, in partnership with the Australian Greenhouse Office Green Energy
- purchase of 25 per cent greenpower for our main buildings.
Greenhouse Abatement Actions
- Civic Place development of ABGR rating of minimum 4.5 Star for the new Civic Place redevelopment incorporating both Council’s building as well as commercial and residential space.
- Review of City of Parramatta car parks and energy use, in particular lighting, in collaboration with Integral Energy
- Canvassing options for energy efficient public lighting as part of Council Public domain improvements
- Retrofit of a childcare centre to demonstrate various sustainable practices and assets such as solar panels, rainwater tanks etc.