Australia Day Awards
General Information about Australia Day Awards
Applications for the 2020 Australia Day Awards are now open!
The Australia Day Local Awards recognise outstanding achievement and excellence in the local community, and highlight the importance of service to the Australian nation.
Being nominated for an Australia Day Local Award is a great honour, and is therefore a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to someone who makes you proud to be an Australian. There have been many remarkable nominees and winners over the years.
All residents are invited to nominate a member of the community whose exemplary contribution is deserving of recognition. This could be a friend, family member, workmate or someone you have met while serving the community.
Please ensure that your application is supported with:
- a minimum 200 word submission outlining the nominee’s background, achievements and reasons for nomination by addressing the selection criteria
- a maximum of five A4 supporting pages will be accepted, including the nomination form - Character reference contact details (maximum two) and supporting photograph/s are preferred.
Please refer to the Selection Criteria, Eligibility and Conditions of Entry on this page before nominating.
Citizen of the Year
Person who has made a noteworthy contribution to the City of Parramatta.
All individual nominees will be considered for Citizen of the Year.
Young Citizen of the Year
Person must be under the age of 26 as at 26 January 2020.
Senior Citizen of the Year
Person must be over the age of 55 as at 26 January 2020.
Volunteer of the Year
Person who has volunteered time to an organisation and/or fundraising cause.
Arts and Cultural Award
A person or group who have made an influential or valuable contribution to the city through the arts: e.g. drama, visual art, music, verse, dance, cultural heritage, expression, literature, film, multimedia.
Sports Achievement Award
Person who has contributed significantly in the sporting arena, either as an athlete, coach, manager or who has raised the profile of sport in general.
Community Group Award
Local group or organisation which has provided the most outstanding contribution to the community. This includes projects and events.
See photos from the 2019 Australia Day Award Ceremony.
Selection is to be made by the Australia Day Awards Judging Panel. The criteria used by the panel in the selection process include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to the betterment of the community
- Undertaken activities which have a positive purpose, with short and long term benefits for others
- Shows vision and leadership
- Active in the community where the community benefits
- Showed outstanding achievement in a specific field, e.g. academic, sporting, cultural, environmental, community engagement, leadership, or civic responsibility
- Impact of the activities of an individual or group on the community whether it be immediate or lasting
- Law abiding
- Provide positive role model to others
- Engage in community participation
- Personal, academic and professional achievements
- Awards and nominations received
- Special achievements.
Further that, consideration should be given to:
- Nominations located in the Parramatta LGA which also delivers the service to the City of Parramatta community
- Nominations of a volunteer nature, in kind service or contribution which is not in a paid capacity.
- Nominees must be an Australian Citizen
- Nominees must reside, work or study in the City of Parramatta Local Government Area. If residing out of the area, the service provided must largely contribute or significantly benefit the City of Parramatta Local Government Area
- Community groups and projects must have been held and largely contribute or significantly benefit the City of Parramatta Local Government Area
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Sitting local, state and federal politicians are not eligible nor immediately after leaving office
- No weight is given to the number of times a person is nominated
- All individual nominees will be considered for the Citizen of the Year Award.
- Entry in these awards is open to all persons who are residents of the City of Parramatta and an Australian Citizen at the time of nomination.
- Entry in the Community Award is open to all community groups based and operating in the City of Parramatta.
- Nominations must be made on the official form.
- Nominations may be made as an individual, couple, partnership, family or organisation.
- You can nominate more than one group or individual, but a separate form must be used for each nomination.
- Individuals cannot self-nominate.
- Community groups may self-nominate.
- All nomination information and materials submitted remain the property of the City of Parramatta Council.
- The judging panel has the right to vary the category if a different category is deemed more appropriate.
- Past award recipients will not be considered in the same category again.
- The judging committee’s decision is final.
Submit Your Nomination
Council is pleased to provide an online nomination form for direct and convenient submission.
Complete the nomination form and send to:
City of Parramatta
Australia Day Awards – Civic Events
PO Box 32
Parramatta NSW 2124
For more information, please phone 9806 5000.
Nominations close at 5pm, Friday, 22 November 2019.
For more information, please email email@example.com or phone (02) 9806 5000.