alert City of Parramatta will soon no longer support this version of IE. Consider upgrading your browser now. Link


Planning and building certificates

Zoning certificate

(Back to top)

A zoning certificate is officially called a section 10.7 certificate (previously known as section 149). It gives you we have on file about planning controls or other property issues that affect a particular piece of land.

There are two types of section 10.7 certificates:

Section 10.7(2) certificate

It shows the:

  • zoning of the property
  • its relevant state, regional and local planning controls
  • other property issues such as land contamination and road widening

This certificate is based on the parent property only, not on individual lot numbers.

Section 10.7(2) and (5) certificates

It gives the same information as section 10.7(2), but also includes advice from other authorities.

While the certificate will state all the relevant planning instruments that apply to the property, it does not specify particular development standards or terms of the instruments.

If you propose to develop the property, we recommend undertaking thorough research into all of the planning instruments which apply to the land.


Under section 10.7 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, the City must issue these certificates upon application.

  • section 10.7(2) certificate – $69.02
    section 10.7(2) and (5) certificates – $173.66

We can process an urgent certificates within 24 hours during business hours for an additional fee of $120.00.

How to apply

You can apply for your certificate:


Submit your application in our Service Portal and select Apply for a Certificate.

By mail

You can mail your application by post to PO Box 32, Parramatta, NSW 2124.


Building Information Certificate

(Back to top)

A building certificate application is made when a property is being sold under division 6.7 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act. The application can be from:

  • the property owner
  • another person, with the property owner’s consent
  • the property buyer under a contract of sale, including their solicitor or agent
  • a public authority when they have notified the owner

If the building certificate is approved, it confirms that Council will not issue an order to repair, demolish or rebuild the property for seven years under the condition that the premise is in a satisfactory state and has not deteriorated.

Documents needed for the application

The following information is required:

Document Notes


(1 copy)

Full drawings of the building (1:100 scale/1:200)

  • Site plan
  • Registered Survey Report
  • Floor plan depicting unauthorised work
  • Elevations and sections
  • A4 size notification plans
  • Works as executed stormwater/drainage plans
  • Sydney Water stamped plans
  • Shadow diagram/profiles

Installation certificates relating to essential fire safety measures

(1 copy)

Details of proposed and existing fire safety measures as required by the Building Code of Australia (BCA), including certification.

BCA Report

(1 copy)

  • Report outlining compliance with current BCA

Installation certificates relating to structural elements, stormwater, health and amenity (please note, other certification may be requested)

(1 copy)

  • Structural engineers report
  • Pest management AS3660
  • Wet Area waterproofing
  • Electrical certification of integral energy
  • Glazing certification for safety glass
  • Smoke detector certification
  • Other certification may be requested

Statement of Environmental Effects

(1 copy)

Full description of the proposal and assessment against relevant LEP and DCP requirements, including a compliance report/table

Energy and sustainability performance certificate

(1 copy)

Visit the BASIX website to get the certificate

Annual Fire Safety Statement

(1 copy)

Class 2-9 buildings only


For houses and other structures around the house (i.e. Class 1 or 10)

Please refer to page 18-21 of the fees and charges report for the current financial years Building Information Certificate fees.


Additional fees

Please refer to page 18-21 of the fees and charges report for the current financial years Building Information Certificate fees.

If there has been unauthorised building work, additional fee applies.

These fees will be determined by:

  • Is there a Development Approval for the unauthorised works? If no, you will be required to pay any fees that would have been required if lodging a new DA (as well as Notification fees)
  • You will also be required to pay the fees for Construction Certificate  package for the cost of  the unauthorised works

Building Information certificate required information

Building Information Certificate Application

Upcoming events