Access to Information
City of Parramatta provides access to information in accordance with the Government Information (Public Access) Act (GIPA) 2009. The GIPA Act aims to make a wide variety of City of Parramatta Council information available to all sectors of the community unless there is an overriding public interest against disclosure.
This access to information includes our policies, financial reports, public registers and documents relating to our decisions. For more information, see Council's Information Guide.
request Council's documents and files
- The most convenient way is to complete the online form.
- Complete an Access to Information - Informal Application Form
- Complete an Access to Information - Formal Application Form (with a $30 lodgement fee).
- Visit City of Parramatta at 126 Church Street Parramatta for a printed copy of the form
- Call (02) 9806 5050 to have a form sent to you.
If you choose a PDF or paper form, please follow the instructions for returning the completed form back to council.
Release of Information
Under the GIPA Act there are four ways that information may be released.
Generally made available on City of Parramatta’s website and includes:
- Register of Government Contracts
- Disclosure Log
- Council meeting agendas and minutes
- Annual Report
- Policies and Codes
- Plans of Management
- Media Releases
- Development Applications.
Schedule 1 of the GIPA Regulations is a specifically tailored list of additional open access Council information that is publicly available.
Aims to make as much information publicly available for free or at the lowest reasonable cost. This may include frequently requested information or information of public interest including Statistics, Administrative Policies or Public Registers.
Subject to any reasonable conditions. This information includes details of a complaint (excluding the complainant details), property owner for tree or dividing fence matters or development and building applications. If you are seeking information that is not available by mandatory or proactive release, you will be required to complete a GIPA Access to Information - Informal Application Form and submit to Council.
Informal access requests will be processed and determined by City of Parramatta’s Right to Information Officer and a response will be provided in a timely manner in accordance with legislation and City of Parramatta policy. Such requests may be subject to reasonable charges including photocopying.
Release of information not made available by mandatory, proactive or informal release can be made via formal access application and can include:
- information involving a business
- personal information relating to a third party who must be consulted before the information can be released
- information which is of a confidential nature or involves an extensive search.
You need to complete a GIPA Access to Information - Formal Application Form and submit to Council. Formal access requests will be processed and determined by City of Parramatta’s Right to Information Officer and a response will be provided within 20 working days in accordance with legislation. Such requests may be subject to further processing charges of $30 per hour if the request is broad or includes multiple varied points.
If you are seeking information under formal access, an advance deposit may be requested prior to completing the request, if our estimate of the time required is above expected limits.
You can find out more about your right to information by:
- going to the Access to Information Frequently Asked Questions page or the Information and Privacy Commission NSW website.
- calling City of Parramatta on (02) 9806 5050.