Planning and Building certificates

Zoning certificates

A zoning certificate is officially called a section 149 certificate, which will provide you with information the City of Parramatta has on file about planning controls or other property issues that affect a particular piece of land. 

There are 2 types of section 149 certificates available from the City. 

  • A section 149(2) certificate shows the zoning of the property, its relevant state, regional and local planning controls and other property issues such as land contamination and road widening. Please note: the certificate is based on the parent property only, not on individual lot numbers.
  • A section 149(2) and 149(5) certificate provides the same information but also includes advice from other authorities. 

While the certificate will state all the relevant planning instruments that apply to the property, it does not specify particular development standards or terms of the instruments. If you propose to develop the property, we recommend undertaking thorough research into all of the planning instruments which apply to the land. 


Under section 149 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, the City must issue these certificates upon application. 

  • section 149(2) certificates, cost $53.00
  • section 149(2) & (5) certificates, cost $133.00.

Urgent certificates can be processed within 24 hours during business hours for an additional fee of $100.00.

You can apply for your certificate:

  • online via City of Parramatta’s Online Service Portal
  • in person at Council’s Customer Contact Centre, 126 Church Street, Parramatta
  • by post to
    City of Parramatta
    PO Box 32
    Parramatta NSW, 2124

Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.

Important Note:

Local Government boundaries changed on 12 May 2016.  Please contact us to confirm lodgement requirements if the property is within one of the suburbs formally within The Hills, Hornsby, Auburn and Holroyd local government areas:

  • Northmead, Winston Hills and Baulkham Hills south of the M2 Motorway and east of Windsor Road;
  • North Rocks south of the M2 Motorway;
  • Carlingford south of the M2 Motorway and north of Pennant Hills Road and Keeler Street;
  • Beecroft and Epping south of the M2 Motorway and north of Carlingford Road;
  • Epping and Eastwood south of the M2 Motorway and between the Main Northern Railway Line and Terry’s Creek;
  • The western side of Blaxland Road Eastwood between Terry’s Creek and Ball Avenue and Nos 2 to 8 Ball Avenue Eastwood; 
  • Oatlands between James Ruse Drive and Bettington Road;
  • North Parramatta between James Ruse Drive, Belmore Street and James MacArthur Court
  • Wentworth Point, Sydney Olympic Park, Newington, Silverwater and Libcombe north of the M4 Motorway;
  • Mays Hill between Burnett and Steel Streets;
  • Parramatta between Burnett and Pitt Streets and north of the M4 Motorway;
  • Granville south of Railway Street and Boundary Street and north of the M4 Motorway; and
  • Granville between Raymond Street and the Cumberland/ South Railway Line and properties surrounding Mort Street Granville.

Section 149 Planning Certificate Application

Building Certificates

Building certificate applications under Section 149D of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act are commonly made when property is being sold and can be from:

  • the property owner
  • another person, with the property owner’s consent
  • the property buyer under a contract of sale, including their solicitor or agent
  • a public authority when they have notified the owner.

A building certificate if approved confirms that council will not issue an order to repair, demolish or rebuild the property for seven years under the condition that the premise is in a satisfactory state and has not deteriorated.

The following information is required:

Document Notes Copies required

Full drawings of the building (1:100 scale/1:200)

  • Site plan
  • Registered Survey Report
  • Floor plan depicting unauthorised work
  • Elevations and sections
  • A4 size notification plans
  • Works as executed stormwater/drainage plans
  • Sydney Water stamped plans
  • Shadow diagram/profiles
Installation certificates relating to essential fire safety measures Details of proposed and existing fire safety measures as required by the Building Code of Australia (BCA), including certification. 1
BCA Report
  • Report outlining compliance with current BCA
Installation certificates relating to structural elements, stormwater, health and amenity (please note, other certification may be requested)
  • Structural engineers report
  • Pest management AS3660
  • Wet Area waterproofing
  • Electrical certification of integral energy
  • Glazing certification for safety glass
  • Smoke detector certification
  • Other certification may be requested
Statement of Environmental Effects Full description of the proposal and assessment against relevant LEP and DCP requirements, including a compliance report/table 1
Energy and sustainability performance certificate To be sourced from 1
Annual Fire Safety Statement Class 2-9 buildings only 1


  • For houses and other structures around the house (i.e. Class 1 or 10) $250.00
  • For all other types of buildings (i.e. Class 2 to 9)
    1. where the floor area does not exceed 200 sqm - $250.00
    2. where the floor area is between 200 - 2000 sqm - $250.00 PLUS $0.50 per sqm over 200 sqm
    3. when the floor area exceeds 2000 sqm - $1,165.00 PLUS $0.075 per sqm over 2000 sqm
    4. for part of the building that does not have a floor area (eg an external wall) - $250.00

Additional fees

  • Additional inspection fee: $90.00 (if Council is required to carry out more than one inspection of the building)
  • Additional copies of Building Certificates: $13.00
  • Urgency fee: $100.00 (inspection will be carried out within 24 hours of lodgement), this is only for Building Certificates that don’t have unauthorised works associated with the application.

If there has been unauthorised building work, additional fee applies. These fees will be determined by:

  • Is there a Development Approval for the unauthorised works? If no you will be required to pay any fees that would have been required if lodging a new DA (as well as Notification fees)
  • You will also be required to pay the fees for Construction Certificate  package for the cost of  the unauthorised works