The 2021 Final Report of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety found that almost 40 per cent of people living in Australian aged care facilities experience elder abuse in the form of neglect, emotional abuse or physical abuse. There is emerging anecdotal evidence and data that also indicates elder abuse is prevalent in the community, with seniors living independently or with family.
Council held an Elder Abuse Forum in 2022 for aged care and home support workers. The Forum sought to inform workers on context and responses to elder abuse, including standards, reporting and support services.
The panel of speakers included:
- NSW Commission for Ageing and Disability
- Australian Government’s Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission,
- Older Women’s Network NSW
- Seniors Rights Service
- Ethnic Community Services Cooperative
- NSW Commission for Ageing and Disability (PDF, 3.19MB)
- Australian Government’s Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (PDF, 889.64KB)
- Older Women’s Network NSW (PDF, 1.6MB)