In May 2016, the new City of Parramatta LGA was created from parts of the former council areas of Auburn, Holroyd, Hornsby, Parramatta and The Hills. As a result, different planning controls currently apply to different parts of the LGA.
Council is reviewing the multiple land use plans that currently apply to different parts of the City of Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA). This work will create a single Local Environmental
(LEP) and Development Control Plan (DCP) that will apply to the whole LGA. The land use planning harmonisation process will create a clear and more consistent set of planning controls for the whole LGA.
Draft Parramatta Local Environmental Plan
Council has prepared a Planning Proposal for a new Local Environmental Plan (LEP) for the City of Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA). The new LEP will replace the existing LEPs that currently apply to land in the LGA and will be the primary planning document for guiding development and land use decisions made by Council.
The focus of the Planning Proposal is harmonisation (or consolidation) of existing LEP controls. The Planning Proposal does not propose major changes to zoning or increases to density controls. The Planning Proposal and supporting documents was publicly exhibited from Monday 31 August 2020 until Monday 12 October 2020. The Planning Proposal documentation that was publicly exhibited can be viewed on Council’s Participate Parramatta engagement portal.
On 12 July 2021, Council resolved to approve the Harmonisation Planning Proposal and Draft Parramatta Local Environmental Plan (LEP), with minor amendments, and to be forwarded to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) for finalisation.
The Harmonisation Planning Proposal and Draft Parramatta LEP have now been submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment for finalisation. The Planning Proposal and relevant information can be found below:
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal (Excluding Appendices)
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 1: Proposed Draft Parramatta LEP 2021
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 2: Comparison of LEP Written Instruments
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 3: Comparison of LEP Land Use Tables
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 4: Proposed Land Application Map
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 5A & 5B: Mapping
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 6: Quantitative Analysis of Proposed Amendments to Residential Zones
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 7: Summary of Changes to the Planning Proposal Documentation
- Harmonisation Planning Proposal – Appendix 8 & 8A: Gateway Determination and Alteration
- Local Planning Panel Meeting Report and Minutes 8 October 2019
- Council Meeting Report and Minutes 11 November 2019
- Local Planning Panel Meeting Report and Minutes 29 June 2021
- Council Meeting Report and Minutes 12 July 2021
Project Update - August 2022
The focus of the Land Use Planning Harmonisation process is to consolidate the five existing Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) that apply to the City of Parramatta as a result of the council boundary changes in May 2016, and deliver a single consolidated LEP to apply to the new council boundary for the City of Parramatta.
Following Council endorsement of the Parramatta Harmonisation Planning Proposal, Council officers submitted the endorsed Harmonisation Planning Proposal package to the Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) in September 2021.
We are currently working with DPE as part of the finalisation process which is anticipated to be completed by the end of 2022.
Any proposed changes as a result of the Draft Parramatta LEP will be subject to the outcome from DPE.
Should you wish to receive to be kept informed of the progress of the Harmonisation Planning Proposal, please put in an email request via email@example.com.
Harmonisation DCP and Contributions Plan
Alongside the preparation of the consolidated LEP, Council is also progressing work to prepare a draft Consolidated Development Control Plan (DCP) for the LGA, which will contain detailed design controls and standards for different types of development. Once prepared, the draft DCP will be reported to Council for approval to proceed to public exhibition.
The City of Parramatta (Outside CBD) Development Contributions Plan 2021 came into effect on 20 September 2021. This plan harmonises development contributions throughout the Parramatta LGA, excluding the Parramatta CBD and Sydney Olympic Park. View the Contributions Plan.
You can call the Land Use Planning Harmonisation team on (02) 9806 5050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have accessibility concerns, please contact the National Relay Service and provide them with the City of Parramatta contact number: (02) 9806 5050.