City of Parramatta's Community Strategic Plan Parramatta 2038 sets out the long term vision for our area. Our environmental aim is that Parramatta will be an eco-efficient city that effectively manages and uses the City’s growth to improve and protect the environment.
The rapidly growing population and increasing development in Parramatta requires a shifting focus on the environment. While protection of natural assets remains a priority, strategies to address the efficiency of our built environment and manage environmental risks are also vital to ensuring a prosperous and vibrant city.
To improve and protect our natural heritage and systems including the extensive network of parks and bushland reserves with a focus on:
- waterways rehabilitation
- biodiversity and bushland management
- local air quality
- land and soil management.
To invest in and create a low impact and eco-efficient urban environment that supports Parramatta as an area of significant jobs and residential growth with a focus on:
- efficiency and adaptability of precincts and buildings
- growth in green jobs and services.
Risks and resilience
To minimise and manage environmental risks, increase resilience and improve recovery times with a focus on:
- preparation for extreme weather events and/or other extreme events that disrupt food, water, energy or other resource supply
- identification of risk and putting plans in place to better deal with events when they happen
- flooding risk.