City of Parramatta is focused on helping businesses become more efficient through innovative programs that achieve sustainable outcomes and increased profitability.
We also partner with local businesses through activities such as organising tree planting and clean-up events and also organise regular forums to inform and educate the local community on ways to reduce energy usage and explore solar installations.
As a part of the Smart City Master plan, City of Parramatta aims to improve liveability, enhance sustainability and achieve economic prosperity. We aim to offer new sustainability programs for local businesses such as the Business to Business (B2B) resource exchange to develop business clusters and facilitate conversations on sustainability.
Parra$mart Business program
Free sustainability assessments are offered to local businesses in Rydalmere and Silverwater to improve efficiencies across energy, water and waste. The sustainability assessment includes:
- analysis of business energy and water usage and waste to landfill
- opportunities for improvements
- an action plan for implementation.
City of Parramatta also provides financial rebates to help participating businesses implement the highest priority recommendations. Sustainability assessments are limited in number and are on a first-come basis.
For more information or to register for a free assessment call 9806 8291.
Our Solar Future
Our Solar Future is a website about renewable energy developed to the help local community access to information about installing solar hot water systems, solar power systems and heat pumps. You can find out whether a solar power system is right for your home or business, what size system you may need and how much it may cost. You'll also find a list of reputable and trustworthy suppliers to help you install your system. Find out more.
Plate back to Paddock Food recycling program
Our trial food recycling program offers food service businesses the option to cut their waste bill and improve waste management practices. We provide free bins, bin liners, signage, collection and recycling during the trial. To be eligible for the program your food business needs to have it's own waste management arrangement (not shared) that is located within the Parramatta CBD and willing to separate all food waste from general waste.
This trial is funded by City of Parramatta as part of NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA)'s Waste Less and Recycling More initiative.
For more information on how you can get involved contact City of Parramatta's Waste Education Officer on 9806 8295.
Environmental Upgrade Agreements
The Environmental Upgrade Agreement (EUA) is an initiative of City of Parramatta Council offered through the NSW Government. It can be used to finance environmental upgrades including solar installations to any existing non-residential or non-strata building located in the Parramatta Local Government Area.
An EUA is a secured loan that can be locked in for up to 15 years. This increases the likelihood savings generated will be greater than the EUA repayments and match the life of the upgraded equipment. Owners and tenants can both gain from maximising a building’s energy efficiency.
Click here for more information about EUAs.
Commitment to Environmental Initiatives
City of Parramatta is implementing a range of programs across the organisation to reduce its environmental footprint. Projects include:
- retrofitting council owned buildings and facilities with energy and water efficient fittings and appliances
- installing rooftop solar panels on City of Parramatta buildings
- replacing inefficient street lights with LED technology under the Light Years Ahead project
- committing to achieve 5 Star Green Star ratings for all buildings across the six stages of Parramatta Square’s development, as well as achieving one of the first Green Star Communities ratings
- the addition of sustainability criteria in our Procurement Policy
- introducing Corporate Opal cards for staff to use public transport for work-related travel
- using Greenfleet to offset vehicle emissions
- purchasing 100% GreenPower for all electricity accounts other than street lighting