Council’s Code of Meeting Practice provides for public participation at Council Meetings.
Members of the public may make an application to address Council at a Council Meeting, on items that are listed for consideration at that meeting.
Council will allow a maximum of three (3) Public Forums at each Council Meeting, being five (5) minutes allocated to each Public Forum. Each Public Forum presentation is made up of:
- 3 minutes for the speaker to make their presentation; and
- 2 minutes for a response by the Chief Executive Officer or nominated Council officer (if required).
Council will strictly adhere to these limits.
Public Forums are to be addressed to the Lord Mayor, relate to matters listed on the current Council business paper, and must not refer to or target political parties or individuals. Public Forum submissions that have been raised previously within the last 12 months will not be accepted unless there is new information to present.
Please refer to the following guideline for submission of Public Forums:
- Complete the form below including a full transcript of what you are going to say, with your contact details before 4pm on the Thursday prior to the meeting
- Council will accept only one ‘for’ and one ‘against’ any item of business
- If several speakers are registered to speak on the same topic, speakers may be approached by staff to submit a combined submission.
Note: For Members of the public who would like to address Council during a Public Forum at the 24 May 2021 Council Meeting for Item 17.1 (Post Exhibition – Finalisation of the Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal), please be advised that to accommodate the high number of submissions no oral Public Forums will be presented during the meeting. Members of the public are requested to complete the form below to submit a written statement, which will be provided to the Councillors for consideration before the meeting.
Public Forums submissions will be confirmed as soon as possible prior to the Council meeting following consideration being given to the urgency of each of the submissions by the Lord Mayor (or his/her delegate) in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer.
Speakers usually present their Public Forum to the Council meeting in person, but whilst the Council is meeting remotely (due to the coronavirus crisis), accepted submissions will be read to the meeting by the Lord Mayor.
Public Participation at Council Meetings
For more information, please contact the Governance Unit on (02) 9806 5310.