alert City of Parramatta will soon no longer support this version of IE. Consider upgrading your browser now. Link

Application process

(Back to top)

To apply for consent to build a granny flat you will need to get approval from the City of Parramatta.

Complying development

(Back to top)

Complying development is development that meets specific standards in the:

Applications can be determined by a council or private accredited certifier without the need for a full development application.

Complying development is a faster approval process, while ensuring stringent planning and environmental requirements are met through a set of prescribed approval conditions.

Most complying development applications can be approved in 10 days.

Notifying neighbours

(Back to top)

To encourage greater communication between complying development applicants and their neighbours, the NSW Government has introduced mandatory notification requirements if you use the complying development system to carry out works on your property in residential zones.

Applicants should consult with their neighbours at the earliest opportunity to help them understand the building plans.

Ideally, this should take place before detailed plans are drawn up and before you submit your application.

Neighbour notification zone 20m

Neighbours within a 20 metre radius of the proposed complying development site will be notified by an accredited certifier (council or private) when they are processing a development application within a residential zone.

Neighbours have no objection rights to a complying development proposal because it meets minimum impact criteria on surrounding properties.

An application cannot be approved for at least 14 days after your neighbours are notified.

The property owner (in most cases the applicant for the certificate) is also required to give neighbours at least 7 days notice before works start.

Development application

(Back to top)

If your proposal does not meet all the requirements under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 and the Exempt and Complying Development Codes 2008, you will need to lodge a development application.

The granny flat will be required to meet the requirements of the:

Development contribution

(Back to top)

Some developments including complying developments may require a contribution to the City towards public amenities and services.

Your accredited certifier is responsible for determining if a contribution is required.

Applicants must pay their contribution before commencing the development works. For more information about the most updated Contribution Plans and rates, visit the Development Contributions page.

Upcoming events