Was this page helpful
to you?

Animal Responsibility

Microchipping and registration

Your pet relies on you to provide care, food, water, shelter, routine veterinary checkups and exercise. It is imperative, and required by law, that you also microchip and lifetime register your pet. This ensures your pet has the best chance of being returned if it is lost. 

    Step one: How to microchip your pet for free

    Both cats and dogs must be microchipped at the time of sale and the transfer of ownership or at 12 weeks of age, whichever comes first.

    A microchip is about the size of a grain of rice and contains a unique 15-digit identification number that is quickly implanted under your pet's skin, between the shoulders. In the event a pet is lost or stolen, the microchip can be scanned when they are found.

    The information on the microchip will then be added to the online NSW Pet Registry. This information is important, as it can be used to help pet owners be reunited with their lost or stolen pets.

    There are three City of Parramatta officers who can microchip your pet for free in the convenience of your home if you live within the Local Government Area. To book an appointment:

    e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au
    p: 9806 5050

    Step Two: How to register your pet for lifetime registration 

    Once your pet is six months old, it also needs to be registered with City of Parramatta.

    To register your pet, you will need:

    • A Certificate of Identification
    • A completed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form
    • Proof your pet has been desexed, if applicable (e.g. Certificate of Sterilisation or receipt containing microchip number from a vet or a statutory declaration from a previous owner stating that the cat or dog has been desexed)
    • Any document entitling you to a discount (pensioner concession card, veterans card, registered breeder membership card etc).
    • If claiming the pound or shelter rate, proof of purchase after 29th October 2015 and from listed organisations stated below**

    Here are some of the ways you can register your pet:

    Online through the NSW Pet Registry website

    1. Create a Pet Profile on the NSW Pet Registry
    2. Verify your Identity
    3. Claim your pet as their owner
    4. Register Pet online and Pay Registration Fee

    For more information, please access our User Guide.

    In person at any NSW Local Council

    Methods of payments accepted by City of Parramatta Council are: cash, credit card, EFTPOS, cheque or money order. Councils Customer Service Centre can be located at 126 Church Street, Parramatta between the hours of 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

    Send to City of Parramatta Council

    You can send the completed documentation accompanied with a cheque, money order or credit card details (complete the Credit Card Authorisation form) to:

    Council will then complete the necessary paperwork on behalf of the NSW State Government and forward you a Certificate of Registration

    Registration fees as of 1st July 2020:

    • $216 for undesexed dogs
    • $60 for desexed dogs
    • $60 for dogs owned by registered breeders
    • $30 for desexed dogs sold by eligible pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation*
    • $26 for desexed dogs owned by pensioner
    • $0 for guide and assistance animals**, working dogs and registered greyhounds
    • $50 for desexed cats or not desexed#
    • $50 for cats owned by registered breeders
    • $25 for desexed cats sold by eligible pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation*
    • $26 for desexed cats owned by pensioner
    • $17 Late fee (If registration fee has not been paid 28 days after the date on which the animal is required to be registered)***


    *An eligible pound or shelter includes a NSW council pound, the Animal Welfare League NSW, the Cat Protection Society of NSW Inc, the RSPCA NSW or an approved rehoming organisation. This is for dog and cats that have been purchased after 29th October 2015.

    **An assistance animal includes guide dogs, a dog trained to assist a person in activities where hearing is required, and any other animal trained by a recognised training organisation to assist a person to alleviate the effect of a disability.

    *** All dogs and cats are required to be registered before they reach the age of 6 months

    # Owners of cats that are not desexed by four months of age will be required to pay an $80 annual permit in addition to the once-off lifetime pet registration fee.

    Change of address or owner 

    If your pet is microchipped, make sure your address and contact telephone numbers are up to date with the register by updating your pet's information online.

    Rule changes for selling or giving away cats or dogs

    From 1 July 2019, people advertising kittens, cats, puppies or dogs for sale or to give away in NSW will need to include an identification number in advertisements. The identification number can be either:

    • a microchip number
    • a breeder identification number
    • a rehoming organisation number.

    The rules will apply to all advertisements, including those in newspapers, local posters, community notice boards and all forms of online advertising, including public advertisements on websites such as the Trading Post, Gumtree and social media sites. Fines may apply.

    The advertising requirement will be enforced by the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 enforcement agencies: RSPCA NSW, Animal Welfare League NSW, and NSW Police. Local council officers do not have these powers.

    The Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission can also enforce the requirement for greyhounds that are being advertised by registered greyhound racing participants.

    For more information visit the Department of Primary Industries website.

    Make sure ownership is transferred

    When you are happy you have found a good home for your cat or dog, you need to transfer the ownership to the person buying or adopting your pet.  It is important that you check that this has been done and the person has accepted ownership. Call Council to find out if ownership has been transferred. 

    You can complete and print a change of owner form send to: