alert City of Parramatta will soon no longer support this version of IE. Consider upgrading your browser now. Link

Road Safety

Traffic and Transport Services

Traffic Projects

(Back to top)

Information including pictures on traffic and pedestrian projects recently completed by Council can be found here 

Traffic Projects Recently Completed Table

Information on traffic projects to be undertaken in 2023 can be found here

Traffic Projects for 2023

Hooning and anti-social behaviour by motorists

(Back to top)

Motorists are hooning and performing reckless vehicle movements in my street, what can Council do?

Moving traffic offences can only be enforced by NSW Police. Motorists are expected to always obey the road rules. Illegal drag racing, burn-outs, speeding and other reckless road behaviour poses risks to the community. Hooning affects all road users and members of the public. It also poses risk to drivers and their passengers. Illegal driving (hooning) should be reported to Police. The public can report this behaviour via the Police Assistance Line (PAL) on ph 131 444 which operates 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Phoning the Police Assistance Line allows the public to report crime over the phone immediately. Once a report is completed by a Customer Service Representative, the information is then available to local police. Remember, always contact 000 in an emergency.

When reporting a hooning incident, the below information will assist Police in dealing with the matter. 

  • a description of the vehicle/s
  • vehicle registration
  • time and date of offence
  • location of the offence (including the nearest cross street)
  • a description of the driver.
  • specific and detailed information of what is occurring

Signposting and linemarking of driveways

(Back to top)

Can I get a ‘No Stopping’ or ‘No Parking’ sign installed near my driveway?

Parking near driveways occurs frequently in urban areas. Council understands it can be frustrating when motorists do not consider the local community when parking close to property driveways.

City of Parramatta generally does not signpost individual driveways or intersections as parking at these locations is covered under Road Rules 2014 and the installation of signage would result in visual pollution and excessive maintenance costs if applied broadly.

You may install a ‘No Parking across Driveway at Any Time’ sign on your gate or fence.

How do I get lines painted near my driveway to stop motorists from parking there?

Council allows residents and businesses to line mark the road surface near their driveway in accordance with the sketch plan. For full details refer to Council’s FAQs Driveway linemarking information flyer here

Speed limits and signage

(Back to top)

Who sets speed limits?

Speed limits on NSW roads are set by TfNSW. 
On roads where there’s a speed limit sign, you must not drive faster than that speed limit.
On roads where there’s no speed limit sign, you must not drive faster than the default speed limit:

  • 50km/h in ‘built-up areas’ – areas with streetlights and buildings next to the road less than 100m apart
  • 100km/h for all other roads

Can the speed limit in by street by changed?

On the Safer Roads NSW website, the public can comment on speed limits and speed limit signs in NSW. Collective comments received through the website, together with crash data and other road safety engineering information will be used to prioritise the roads which require a speed zone review. Further information and submissions can be found within the following link speed limits

Can a speed limit sign or road markings be installed in my street?

Speed zone signs are under the control of TfNSW. The general urban speed limit in NSW is 50km/h and Council does not install speed limit signs or road markings to reinforce the default speed limit. 

Speed Camera

(Back to top)

Can a speed camera be installed in my street?

The public to nominate a location for the installation of a speed camera. Once a site is nominated, the Centre for Road Safety will then review the request. Nominations can be made On the Safer Roads NSW website, at speed cameras. You can find the position of all mobile, fixed and red-light speed cameras in NSW at Current locations 

Traffic Signals and Traffic Signal Timing

(Back to top)

Can you install traffic signals at a location or replace a pedestrian crossing with traffic signals?

The installation of traffic signals is under the control of TfNSW, therefore this option can only be considered if locations meet the warrants which are set by TfNSW. Where appropriate, Council will undertake traffic and pedestrian counts to determine if a location may meet TfNSW warrants. It is to be noted that whilst a location may meet the warrants set, funding may not be readily available and funding opportunities would need to be investigated and determined. 

Can Council fix the traffic signal timing at traffic signals?

Traffic signals and timing and coordination are under the control of Transport for NSW (TfNSW). Traffic signals in NSW are part of the Sydney Coordinated Adaptive Traffic System (SCATS), which allocates the length of green time based on current traffic flows. Sensors embedded beneath the road measure the number and density of traffic approaching the lights in each direction and allocate green lights accordingly. The length of time the lights stay green vary in response to changing traffic conditions. The TfNSW Network Operations team manages SCATS. They make any necessary adjustments to the timings to ensure the signals are working to maximum efficiency

To submit a request to TfNSW for the review of traffic signal timing please visit TfNSW at

Quick contact List for Responsible Authorities

(Back to top)

Contact list for responsible Authorities and Frequently asked Questions related to Traffic Matters click here

Upcoming events