All children must be safely fastened in the correct child car seat for their age and size. A child who is properly secured in an approved child car seat is less likely to be injured or killed in a car crash than one who is not.
As part of the Local Government Road Safety Program, City of Parramatta Council runs a free child restraint fitting/adjustment program which provides the opportunity for residents of City of Parramatta to obtain a voucher to have their child restraint fitted/adjusted for free by Council’s selected Transport for NSW (TfNSW) authorised fitter.
To apply for a voucher, please fill in the following application and provide the required documentation.
This is a very popular program and we need to ensure we can help as many families as possible due to limited funding. The voucher must be redeemed by 31 March 2021. Please note you must be a resident of City of Parramatta and provide the requested documents for your application to be processed. If you are not a resident of City of Parramatta, please contact your local Council.
Please allow up to 5 working days for processing of your application. Once processed, you will receive an email from Council’s Road Safety Officer.
- This service is available to City of Parramatta residents only and excludes Family Day Carers.
- One voucher per child restraint (to be checked or fitted) is too be redeemed with Council’s selected fitter at the time of booking.
- The voucher includes the installation of a gated buckle if required. Note if any other hardware such as extension straps or anchor bolts are needed, the customer will need to pay the cost to the fitter, at the time of fitting.
- Due to high demand and funding availability. Vouchers may be limited and must be redeemed before the expiry date.
For further information regarding the legal fitting of child car seats, refer to the Child Car Seats website for detailed information.
Did you know(Back to top)
National Child Restraint Laws are:
- Children up to the age of six months must be secured in an approved rearward facing restraint
- Children aged from six months old but under four years old must be secured in either a rear or forward facing approved child restraint with an inbuilt harness
- Children under four years old cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows.
- Children aged from four years old but under seven years old must be secured in a forward facing approved child restraint with an inbuilt harness or an approved booster seat.
- Children aged from four years old but under seven years old cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows, unless all other back seats are occupied by children younger than seven years in an approved child restraint or booster seat.
- Children aged from seven years old but under 16 years old who are too small to be restrained by a seatbelt properly adjusted are strongly recommended to use an approved booster seat.
- Children in booster seats must be restrained by a suitable lap and sash type approved seatbelt that is properly adjusted and fastened, or by a suitable approved child safety harness that is properly adjusted and fastened.
- If your child is too small for the child restraint specified for their age, they should be kept in their current child restraint until it is safe for them to move to the next level.
- If your child is too large for the child restraint specified for their age, they may move to the next level of child restraint.
Teaching a learner driver?
Do you know a young adult who has their learners licence, or is getting ready to obtain their learners licence?
Council runs a free online workshop which shares practical advice on how supervisors of learner drivers can help learners to become safe drivers.
A range of topics are covered, including:
- Understanding the current laws for learner and provisional licence holders
- How to correctly complete the learner driver log book
- Techniques in supervising learner drivers
- Understanding the benefits of receiving supervised on-road driving experience
It is anticipated the next online workshop for Supervisors of Learner Drivers will be held in March 2021. For more information and to make a booking please call 9806 5768 or email firstname.lastname@example.org