Failing to update your pet's microchip information can result in an on-the-spot penalty of $180
Even if you have done the right thing and had your pet microchipped and lifetime registered, it is possible for your pet to arrive at an Animal Holding Facility.
This undesirable result could be due to outdated microchip information, and also means we will not be able to locate and alert you if we've found your missing pet.
Remember, as a pet owner you must notify us if:
- you change your address and/or contact details
- you give away or sell your pet (include both your details and the details of the new pet owner)
- your pet goes missing and when it is found again
- your pet dies
Rule changes for selling or giving away cats or dogs(Back to top)
Since 1 July 2019, people advertising kittens, cats, puppies or dogs for sale or to give away in NSW need to include an identification number in advertisements.
The identification number can be either:
- a microchip number
- a breeder identification number
- a rehoming organisation number.
The rules will apply to all advertisements, including those in:
- local posters
- community notice boards
- all forms of online advertising, including: public advertisements on websites such as the Trading Post, Gumtree and social media sites.
Fines may apply.
The advertising requirement will be enforced by the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 enforcement agencies:
- RSPCA NSW
- Animal Welfare League NSW
- NSW Police
Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission
The Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission can also enforce the requirement for greyhounds that are being advertised by registered greyhound racing participants.
Make sure ownership is transferred(Back to top)
When you are happy you have found a good home for your cat or dog, you need to transfer the ownership to the person buying or adopting your pet.
It is important that you check that this has been done and the person has accepted ownership.
Call us on 02 9806 5050 to find out if ownership has been transferred.
Complete the form
You can print and complete a change of owner for and send to:
- City of Parramatta Council, PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
Other pets(Back to top)
Keeping pets is not limited to dogs and cats. Find out the rules on how to keep other animals consult in our Keeping of birds and animals policy.