alert City of Parramatta will soon no longer support this version of IE. Consider upgrading your browser now. Link

Night City

Small and pop-up venues

City of Parramatta strongly supports small scale and pop-up venues as part of a diverse and vibrant night time economy, and as a way of trialling various business ventures or activities.

Small bars

(Back to top)

The City of Parramatta encourages a mix of licensed venues big and small, such as small bars to support a diverse and vibrant night city with great experiences for all.

Small bars are licensed venues with a patron capacity up to 120 people.

It is important to find out whether development consent is required where you propose to establish a small bar.

If development consent is not required because the premises has existing development approval and conditions of consent are not required to be changed, applicants can apply for a small-bar licence directly with NSW Liquor and Gaming.

However, if development consent is required for the premises, you must lodge a development application (DA) with Council.

Parramatta CBD Small Bars Policy

In April 2017, Council endorsed a Parramatta CBD Small Bars Policy to support the diversification of the licensed venues offering in Parramatta, providing a consistent approach to the assessment of applications for small bar premises (under 120 patrons);

Important things to consider

Liquor licence applications to NSW Liquor and Gaming, applications for outdoor dining and/or street activity applications to the City can be submitted at the same time, but approval will be provided until any development consents required have been obtained.

Pop-up liquor and event licences

(Back to top)

On 1 March 2019, NSW Liquor and Gaming began a 12-month trial of a new liquor licence for pop-up bars and events in seven Sydney precincts, to help activate and revitalise indoor and outdoor spaces and diversify the night-time economy.

The pop-up bar and event licences enable pop-up bar or events such as pop-up restaurants, live entertainment or art shows within the entirety of the City of Parramatta LGA, for up to 6 weeks.

Please note: the pop-up events and liquor licenses do not negate the need for a development application, where currently required.

Get in touch

To find out whether you need a development application for your proposed activity, you can get in touch with Council's Night Time Economy Officer on 

Get support

(Back to top)

Council has dedicated officers with expertise in night time businesses and can assist you in gathering information about how to start a venture in the City of Parramatta.

If you have any questions you can get in touch with our Night Time Economy Officer on

Upcoming events