My Development Application (DA)

Charter Hall Construction of Western Sydney Uni

Before you can make changes to a building in the local area you may need to lodge a development application (DA).

The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 defines development as:

  • the use of land
  • the subdivision of land
  • the erection of a building
  • the carrying out of work
  • the demolition
  • any other matter controlled by an environmental planning instrument.

Please note that Planning approval has been granted by the State Government for the Parramatta Light Rail project, which will run along Church Street. Further information in relation to the Parramatta Light Rail project can be found at

DA Process Guide

The New South Wales Government has recently released a comprehensive guide to the Development Application process. The guide explains the processes involved in the development assessment and construction approval processes to assist the public with preparing and lodging applications that are ready for assessment. There is also an explanation of the steps involved along the way towards a determination.

For more information on the guide, go to the Department of Planning and Environment website.

Important Notice: From 16 October 2017 - Change of Hours for Planners and Engineers at the Development Counter

A Duty Planner will only be available for general enquiries at the counter, Monday to Friday between 8:30am to 1:00pm.

An Engineer will be available between 10:00am and 12 noon daily for lodgements of Section 88E/B and Subdivision certificates. These applications cannot be lodged at any other time.

Development Lodgement Applications

Currently, all Development Applications, Section 4.55 follow the Development Lodgement process. The Development Lodgement process is as follows:

  1. Customer completes the relevant application form (Development Application. Section 4.55), collates the required documentation within a CD/ USB. No hard copies of plans or any other documents are required at this stage. 
  2. Customer lodges the application (Development Application. Section 4.55) as a Development Lodgement application across the counter. 
    • No fee is payable at this stage and an acknowledgement letter will be issued at this stage. This also applies to applications received through the mail. Do not send in cheques with applications. 
    • No hard copies of plans or any other documents are required to be submitted. This should all be in the CD / USB.
  3. Council will review the documentation within 72 hours of receipt of the application (working days). After reviewing the documentation, the applicant will be contacted to either request payment of the lodgement fee/s or return the application with a request for additional information. Two (2) hard copies of all documents and plans are to accompany the fee payment. 
  4. As and when the required fee/s are paid, the application will be lodged as a Development Application, Section 4.55 application and assessment will commence.
  5. A Section 8.3 application will be lodged at the counter with the relevant documentation and payment of appropriate fees.


If you have received a returned Development Lodgement letter. There is an option to book a free 30-minute Lodgement Advisory meeting to discuss only the contents of the letter. In case, you have any engineering issues raised within the returned letter, your consultant engineer is required to be present at the meeting. For booking your preferred time and date for the meeting please visit Book Lodgement Advisory Meeting.

Please be aware that Credit Card Authorisation forms are not acceptable for payment of Development application, Section 4.55 or Section 8.3 application fees, this will need to be done either through a cheque, over the counter payment or using the online payment portal.

my development: Find out more about development applications

View City of Parramatta's planning instruments, find out what types of developments are permissible on individual properties, view our planning controls and instruments and track your application online via My Development. You can also access general information about individual properties in the local government area. 

To assist you in preparing your development application visit Development and Building Forms for further details and requirements.

Buying information

If you're looking to purchase property in the area, use My Development to gather useful planning information including:

  • property zoning, maximum building height, floor space ratio, minimum lot sizes for subdivision and dual occupancy and more.
  • planning application history for a property
  • planning rules for developments for a specific property or land use zone

Renovating AND building

Use the Planning Rules enquiries section in My Development to find out if you can undertake the work on your property, whether you need to approval from the City and what planning controls apply to your development.

Submitted an Application?

Track it in the Applications section in My Development to view your:

  • development applications
  • construction certificates 
  • complying development certificates 
  • building certificates
  • tree applications.

Major developments

Before you prepare a DA for a major development such as a new building or major refurbishment, please contact the Development Advisory Team or Customer Contact Centre at the City to discuss your proposal.

p: (02) 9806 5050
In person at City of Parramatta, 126 Church Street Parramatta NSW 2150

Exempt and complying developments

Some minor developments, called exempt developments, do not require consent. Another type of development, called complying development, requires a complying development certificate.

The Department of Planning and Environment provides information about development that can be undertaken without planning approval from the City  as 'exempt' or 'complying' development. This includes an interactive building tool which shows the changes you can make to a property without planning or building approval.

Modifying a Development Consent

If you need to make changes to a DA after City of Parramatta has given consent there are several ways to do this. 

  • to correct a minor error, an incorrect description or miscalculation, a section 4.55(1) application is required
  • for minimal environmental impact changes, a section 4.55(1A) application is required
  • to modify the consent in other ways, due to design changes for example, evidence needs to be provided that the development will be substantially the same, with a section 4.55(2) application. 
  • to modify a consent handed down by the Land and Environment Court, a section 4.56 application is required

Section 4.55 and 4.56 applications also need verified consent from all of the registered property owners for the changes to be considered. If a company owns the property, the company stamp or seal is required. If the building is subject to a strata scheme, the owners' corporation seal and authorised signatures are required.

Further requirements

A section 4.55/4.56 application needs to include:

  • the completed form (download below)
  • fee payment
  • supporting documentation.

Additional information may still be required. We recommended discussing your proposed changes with the City's officer who dealt with you DA to discuss the modification before it is lodged.

Modification of DA S4.55 and S4.56 Application