Each household in the City of Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA) is provided with one 140 litre, red-lidded garbage bin that is emptied weekly. In unit blocks, two households usually share one 240 litre garbage bin.
After collection, the garbage is sent to an alternative waste treatment at Eastern Creek to recover any recyclables for further processing and organic waste for composting. As a result of this process, more than 50% of your garbage bin contents is diverted from landfill. For more information, see the Global Renewables website.
How to further reduce waste to landfill
- Say no to single-use plastic, such as plastic bags, straws and disposable coffee cups
- Reduce food waste via meal planning and better food storage. For more information, see the Love food, hate waste page
- Compost your organic waste
- Recycle correctly
- Choose items with recyclable packaging
- Repair broken items
- Donate your unwanted items. For more information, see The Bower Reuse and Repair Centre website
- Buy second-hand goods