Design and build
5 Parramatta Square was designed by a consortium of French firm Manuelle Gautrand Architecture and Australian firms DesignInc and Lacoste + Stevenson as part of an international design competition.
It fulfils the brief to create a modern and welcoming community, cultural and civic, centre. Built, one of Australia’s largest private construction groups, has been contracted to deliver the $130 million project.
The building will be owned by City of Parramatta Council.
Home for the people
5 Parramatta Square will be the home for the people of Parramatta. Anchored next to the historic Town Hall, it will provide a contemporary expression that embraces Parramatta’s past, present and future.
Iconic and timeless in design, the building will represent the City’s civic centre as a place of pride that celebrates our rich culture and unique heritage.
The multi-purpose six-storey building will accommodate a variety of uses and deliver many important functions and services including:
- a world-class public library at the forefront of technology, offering an extensive book collection, digital resources, 24/7 book return facility, and study areas. It will provide a permanent home for a significantly enhanced City of Parramatta Library;
- a Discovery Centre and cultural heritage spaces, including interactive displays and exhibitions, an Aboriginal Keeping Place for local Indigenous objects, a Research Lab and professional services providing access to Council’s cultural heritage collection, and cultural programs;
- a ground-floor foyer (the ‘Urban Living Room’) with concierge, visitor services, Council customer services and a café, as well as spaces for live performances and cultural activities;
- a multi-coloured digital facade with specially curated creative content to light up Parramatta Square;
- community collaboration and creative spaces where the public can create, experiment, study, work, meet, exercise, play, and engage with Maker Space/STEAM programs; and
- the new City of Parramatta Council Chambers.
With a community focus and strong connection to the open public space in Parramatta Square, the building will delight and surprise with its functionality and creativity, activating the city from day to night.
5 Parramatta Square is due to be completed by mid 2022.