Public art throughout Parramatta's streets, laneways and parks paints only a small picture of the diverse arts offering in the area.
Whether you are interested in a matinee at Riverside Theatres, scoping out commissioned public art around town, participating in a performance or workshop from Parramatta Artists' Studios, taking a self-guided heritage art trail walk or visiting the Female Orphan School and Margaret Whitlam Galleries, there is something to intrigue all visitors and locals alike.
Parramatta Artists' Studios(Back to top)
About Parramatta Artists Studios
Parramatta Artists’ Studios (PAS) is the energetic home for creative production in Western Sydney. We empower and equip artists to build thriving and sustainable creative lives. We nurture ideas and experimentation, supporting artists to take risks. We work to establish and strengthen peer and professional communities in the contemporary art sector.
We have supported hundreds of artists since opening in 2006 and have a growing community of alumni who are at the forefront of contemporary artistic practice in Australia.
Through our supported studio facilities in Granville (upcoming) and Rydalmere, as well as our digital residencies, we offer studio tenancies, residencies, career development opportunities and community-connected programs. These programs connect artists with Parramatta’s wider communities and contribute to its vibrant culture.
About the Rydalmere Studios
Parramatta Artists’ Studios Rydalmere is situated on the land of the Burramattagal clan of the Dharug people.
The 104ha Rydalmere industrial precinct is located three kilometres from the Parramatta CBD and adjoins the Western Sydney University (WSU) Parramatta campus.
The precinct is characterised by industrial and business uses ranging from panel beaters to tile manufacturers and a specialist hobby store. Further relevant businesses located nearby on Victoria Road include a hardware store, tools supplier and electronics retailer.
Studio location: 22 Mary Parade, Rydalmere.
Applications for the 2023 PAS Open online residency are now open(Back to top)
Parramatta Artists’ Studios is pleased to announce the return of our online residency program – PAS Open. PAS Open residencies provide artists with dedicated time to develop a creative project and focus on research with support from online mentoring. Residencies will take place from 10 to 28 July 2023.
Up to four artists will be selected to take part in the three-week PAS Open residency. They will meet weekly with industry mentor Mariam Ella Arcilla and practicing artist mentor Diego Ramirez. All meetings will take place online, with time to develop your project and research taking place in your own space/s over the three-week residency.
- Up to four artists are chosen by a panel to participate in the PAS Open online residency program
- The online residency takes place over three weeks, with a minimum time commitment of 25 hours per week
- Each artist receives a stipend of $3000 to support their research and work development during the residency period
- The program includes two online one-hour sessions of mentoring each week. One hour with mentor Mariam Ella Arcilla and one hour with Diego Ramirez (6 hours total)
- The program includes a weekly online group meeting with guest speakers working in digital programs or research-based practice (3 hours total)
- The online format makes this residency accessible to artists both locally and nationally and is ideal for artists who work outside of a formal studio practice
- The selected artists will deliver a presentation in an online industry symposium on a set date within three months after the residency.
The residency stipend will be paid in two stages. Successful applicants are to provide an invoice for $1,500 by 21 June and a second invoice for $1,500 by 10 July.
- Applications open – 17 May, 2023
- Online information session – 31 May, 2023, 4pm
- Applications close – 7 June, midnight
- Applicants notified – 19 June, 2023
- PAS Open residency dates – 10 July to 28 July, 2023
Mariam Ella Arcilla is a Filipino-Singaporean arts and culture manager working across community engagement, marketing, writing, editing, gallery management, and cultural strategy. Since 2006, Mariam has collaborated with artists and institutions to turn radiant ideas into programs, dialogues, publications and resources. She is Co-Chair of Runway Journal and has dreamed up projects with 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art, Institute of Modern Art, Arts House, Museum of Brisbane, Accessible Arts, City of Gold Coast, and Liquid Architecture.
Diego Ramírez is an artist with dreams, a writer with hopes and a facilitator with beliefs. He has shown at ACMI in partnership with ACCA, Gertrude Glasshouse, Westspace, Blakdot and internationally at Deslave (Mexico), Human Resources (US), Torrance Art Museum (US), Art Central (HK), and Careof (IT). Ramírez has written locally for Art Gallery of Western Australia, Art and Australia, Disclaimer, MEMO, un Projects and internationally with NECSUS (NL) and BLUE journal (US x FR). He is represented by MARS Gallery.
We acknowledge that online forms are not for everyone – if you would like to apply a different way you can:
- Send an audio file
- Send a video
- Fill-out a printed form
Please contact Claire Finneran at email@example.com if you would like to apply using the above or if you require further assistance with your application.
An online information session with the opportunity to ask questions will take place on Wednesday 31 May 2023 at 4pm. Book here
The closing date for this application is AEST 12 midnight Wednesday 7 June 2023.
Work by Liam Benson, 5 cards, commissioned by Parramatta Artists' Studios. Photo by Jacquie Manning.
2022 Studio Artists(Back to top)
The Parramatta Artists' Studios Rydalmere 2021 - 2022 artists are Tarik Ahlip, Linda Brescia, Felicity Castagna, Chris Dolman, Heath Franco, Paul Greedy and Nadia Odlum.
2021-2022 Studio Artists, Rydalmere (L-R): Paul Greedy, Nadia Odlum, Heath Franco, Linda Brescia, Felicity Castagna, Chris Dolman and Tarik Ahlip. Photo by Jacque Manning.
Contact us(Back to top)
Parramatta Artists' Studios is open for events, activities and by appointment only. Contact our team:
Phone: (02) 9806 5230
Address: 22 Mary Parade, Rydalmere 2116
Stay Connected(Back to top)
Subscribe to our e-newsletters:
- PAS e-newsletter - for up-to-date information about events, workshops, PAS artist news and studio application rounds
- WEAVE Parramatta e-newsletter - a monthly workshop in traditional, contemporary and experimental practices in weaving, textile and fibre art
- School Holiday e-newsletter - for information on our school holiday workshops led by professional artists for ages 5 to 12 years
Follow us on social media: