A development contribution levy is a fee to be paid by any person undertaking a new development. The money is used to provide improved or increased public infrastructure and facilities in accordance with the Environmental Planning Assessment Act and Regulation.
The levy applies to all new developments, including complying developments, within the Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA) and is calculated in accordance with Council's Development Contribution Plans (both Section 94 and 94A), including contribution plans inherited as a result of local government amalgamations which occurred on 12 May 2016 as a result of the Local Government (City of Parramatta and Cumberland) Proclamation 2016.
Outstanding development contributions are indexed each quarter in accordance with movements in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
Levies are required to be paid prior to the issue of a complying development certificate or construction certificate, or in the case of subdivision, prior to the issue of a subdivision certificate.
Development Contributions PlanS
The Development Contributions Plan Map shows which Development Contributions Plan applies to land within the City of Parramatta Local Government Area.
Land previously within the Parramatta Local Government Area will have the Parramatta Section 94A Development Contribution Plan (Amendment No. 4) or Parramatta City Centre S94A Development Contribution Plan (Amendment No. 4) (in the case of the Parramatta CBD) continuing to apply.
Land transferred from The Hills, Hornsby, former Holroyd and former Auburn Local Government Areas to the City of Parramatta will have the Section 94 and/or Section 94A Development Contributions Plans of the previous Council continuing to apply until City of Parramatta Council adopts new plan/s relating to these areas.
A copy of the relevant Development Contribution Plans and indexed S94 rates are listed below:
- Parramatta Section 94A Development Contribution Plan (Amendment No. 4)
- Parramatta City Centre S94A Development Contribution Plan (Amendment No. 4)
- Auburn Development Contributions Plan 2007 Amendment No 1
- Auburn Section 94 Indexed Rates Sheet – December Quarter 2016 (effective from 25 January 2017)
- Carter Street Precinct Development Contributions Plan 2016
- Holroyd Section 94 Plan 2013
- Holroyd Section 94 Indexed Rates Sheet – December Quarter 2016 (effective from 25 January 2017)
- Hornsby Section 94 Development Contributions Plan 2014-2024
- Hornsby Section 94A Development Contributions Plan 2014-2024
- Hornsby Section 94 Indexed Rates Sheet – January Quarter 2017 (effective from 1 January 2017)
- City of Parramatta Section 94A Development Contribution Plan (Former Hills LGA Land)
- The Hills Contributions Plan 14 - Carlingford Precinct
- The Hills Section 94 Indexed Rates Sheet (April 2017)
The Parramatta Section 94A Development Contribution Plan (Amendment No. 4) will continue to apply to that land that was previously located within the former ‘Woodville Ward’ of Parramatta (including parts of Chester Hill, Granville, Guildford, Merrylands and South Granville, which has now transferred to Cumberland Council) until such time as a new development contributions plan is created by Cumberland Council and simultaneously repealed by the City of Parramatta in respect of that land.
Cost of Development for Section 94A Development Contributions
Development contributions levied under Section 94A of the Environmental Planning &Assessment Act are calculated based on the cost of development as set out in Section 25J of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulation.
Where a Section 94A development contribution applies to a development application (DA) or complying development certificate (CDC), detailed cost information or a Quantity Surveyors report should be provided as outlined in Council’s Detailed Cost Estimate Form.
Voluntary Planning Agreements
Voluntary Planning Agreements (VPAs) may be accepted as an alternative to development contributions. A VPA is an agreement entered into by Council and a developer during Council's consideration of a rezoning application (planning proposal) or a development application. VPAs can either be in lieu of or in addition to a development contribution payment and this will be negotiated as part of the VPA.
Council has adopted the Parramatta Voluntary Planning Agreements Policy.